Care about the Environment? Youth in Africa?
For a life changing study abroad course – join Fulbright winning psychology professor Dr. Laura Johnson as she travels to Tanzania to begin 9 months of research Jan 2-20, 2013
Oct 10, 2012 deadline
Great for Students in Psychology, Anthropology/Sociology, African American Studies, Biology, and International Studies! Counts toward Environmental Studies Minor!
PSY 475: Environmental Psychology in Tanzania & Zanzibar: Culture,
Ecology and Youth Development
Students will go on safari in the Northern Circuit national parks:
- Hiking and camping; Game drive in Ngorogoro crater
- Biking with a community conservation group in Lake Manyara
- Visit a Maasai boma village
- Explore concepts in conservation psychology, eco-tourism, sustainable development
Students will partner with Tanzanian students in the Kilimanjaro region for:
- Service learning activities (e.g., tree planting, building fuel saving stoves) at conservation education sites in Moshi)
- Visits to schools at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro to participate in youth research
- Camp with our Tanzanian partners at Lake Chala
- Explore concepts of positive youth development and community/civic engagement; Learn about Jane Goodall and her Roots&Shoots youth groups
Students will explore the spice island of Zanzibar:
- Visit historical/field sites pertaining to indigenous, Muslim, and Christian peoples in Stone town, a UNESCO world heritage site; historic slave holding area
- Learn about economic livelihoods through touring a spice farm (the island’s major agricultural industry), visiting markets, and staying in a village which is part of the substantial tourist industry
- Explore concepts of intercultural relations, ethnic identity, privilege, eco-tourism and conservation education critiques and behavior change to promote intercultural harmony and environmental sustainability
Cost: approx. $4,400 plus airfare (@ $2,000) – includes insurance, all safaris, game drives/hikes, air travel to Zanzibar, tours, housing programs, tuition, most meals, most tips.
To Register: 1) contact Laura Johnson, email@example.com, and/or Blair McElroy, firstname.lastname@example.org, 2) fill out a study abroad application (from study abroad web site), get approvals and turn into Study Abroad.